posted on May 19, 2014 15:19
Four Kaua'i Golf Courses Named Top-10 in Hawaii
Source: Yahoo Voices
Prince Course at Princeville Golf Club
Want to experience the best golf that the state of Hawaii has to offer?
Golfweek says, head to Kaua'i.
"Golfweek conveying that Kaua'i is an excellent golf destination with high-quality courses, resorts and after-golf activities is a humbling third-party endorsement," says Sue Kanoho, executive director of the Kaua'i Visitors Bureau. "These award-winning courses combine with Puakea Golf Course to offer an array of memorable experiences."
Released this week, four member courses of the golf-resort destination "Kaua'i: Discover Golf's Ultimate Island Green" earned top-10 status in Golfweek's, 2014 "America's Best Courses You Can Play" by state.
It's becoming a trend, for the second straight year, The Prince Course at Princeville Golf Club ranked No. 2 on the list, followed by Princeville Makai Golf Club (No. 4), Kaua'i Lagoons Golf Club (No. 8) and Poipu Bay Golf Course (No. 10).
Here are the courses that received honors:
1. Prince Course at Princeville Golf Club (www.princeville.com, 800.826.1105)
- Ranked as the No. 1 course in Hawaii by GOLF Magazine (2012) and No. 22 among "America's 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses" 2013-2014 by Golf Digest
- Robert Trent Jones Jr. design re-opened in 2012 following an extensive refurbishment project that restored original design aspect, and improved playability for all skill levels
- The 66,000-square-foot clubhouse features The Tavern Restaurant, by celebrity chef Roy Yamaguchi, and the beautifully appointed 5,500-square-foot Prince Golf Shop
Book Tee Times »
2. Princeville Makai Golf Club (www.makaigolf.com, 808.826.1912)
- Re-opened in 2010 following an extensive renovation. The Makai Course has since been ranked by Golf Digest as one of "America's 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses" 2013/2014 and ranked #4 by Golfweek in Hawaii's "Best Courses You Can Play" 2013.
- Designed by Robert Trent Jones, Jr., the 18-hole Makai Course incorporates serene lakes and stunning ocean coastline; the leisurely 9-hole Woods Course winds through native woodlands against a backdrop of lush mountains
- The St. Regis Princeville Resort recently completed a multi-million-dollar renovation and is home to the Halele'a Spa and The Kaua'i Grill by Jean-Georges Vongerichten
3. Kaua'i Lagoons Golf Club (www.kauailagoonsgolf.com, 800.634.6400)
- In 2012 was voted No. 6 in Hawaii in Golfweek magazine's Best Courses: State by State, No. 7 on GOLF Magazine's "Best-Of" state rankings and one of the "World's Most Beautiful Golf Courses" on MSN Travel
- Amenity of the Kaua'i Marriot Resort on Kalapaki Beach, which recently underwent major upgrades to all of its guestrooms, suites, restaurants and pool deck
- The championship 18-hole Kiele course features the longest continuous stretch of ocean holes in Hawaii with over ½ mile of oceanfront golf.
- The front nine holes feature the par-3, fifth green encircled by a tropical Mango and Guava tree forest
- Features the only Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf experience on Kaua'i
4. Poipu Bay Golf Course (www.poipubaygolf.com, 800.858.6300)
- Along with Grand Hyatt Kaua'i Resort & Spa, Poipu Bay has been honored by Conde Nast Traveler as one of the top golf resorts in the U.S. from 2000 through 2013
- Named to Golf Digest's "America's 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses" 2013-2014 and Golfweek's "Top 100 Resort Courses in America" 2012.
- Home to the PGA Grand Slam of Golf from 1994 through 2006, it has frequently hosted players like Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Vijay Singh and other major champions
- A Robert Trent Jones, Jr. design, the course underwent renovation and unveiled the eco-friendly Seashore Paspalum turf on all greens in 2011. Its four closing holes play atop a 150-foot sea cliff.
- The Grand Hyatt Kaua'i Resort & Spa completed a renovation in 2012 and features a water playground with river pool, waterfalls, a saltwater lagoon, tennis and the celebrated Anara Spa
Also, you don't want to miss:
Puakea Golf Course (www.puakeagolf.com, 866.773.5554)
- Consistently rated a favorite among Kaua'i golfers in local media outlets and ranked as the No. 15 course in Hawaii by Golfweek
- Golf Course Architect Robin Nelson used the natural layout of the land when he planned this layout, testing golfers of all levels and treating them to beautiful views of Mt. Ha'upu and deep lush ravines on several holes
- Owned by AOL co-Founder Steve Case
Nowhere else offers a golf experience like Kaua'i.
Read More »